MAY IS NATIONAL SKIN CANCER AWARENESS MONTH!
If you follow my personal or business Facebook account, you know I post a lot of sun care and SPF articles. I just feel the need to warn people and encourage them to educate themselves on the importance of protecting your skin from UV rays. It's an easy step that anyone and everyone should be doing that can prevent aging, and most importantly, skin cancer.
Skin Cancer is one of the most common forms of cancer around. From the time I was in middle school, I've had teachers, coaches, and many adults tell their stories of all the cancerous spots they have had to get cut or frozen off from their dermatologists. This can still leave scars on their face and body. It all stemmed from when they were young. Tanning and not knowing how to use sunscreen or sun protection when they were younger, came back as sun damage and cancer when they were older.
To prevent premature aging, sun damage, and cancer, its best to start NOW. Being a skin care therapist in San Antonio, TX and now in Oklahoma, I have seen my fair share of sun lovers and their scars and damage from not using sun protection. Although skin cancer is one of the most common forms of cancer, its also one of the most curable if diagnosed and treated early.
Please stay informed and be aware of the sun and it's damaging affects.
Using a sunscreen DAILY is important. Its not just for when your at the beach or pool. Use an SPF on your face through all seasons. The suns rays can still go through clouds and windows causing damage while you drive and during the cold seasons.
It is such an easy way to keep your skin younger, longer! As we age, collagen and elastin fibers of the skin naturally weaken. This weakening happens at a much faster rate when the skin is frequently exposed to UV rays. So, take the time to find a good SPF for yourself and your loved ones. Your future skin will thank you for it.
"An estimated 90% of skin aging is caused by the sun"
"People who use sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher DAILY show 24% less skin aging than those who do not use sunscreen daily."
Here's a few tips on how to protect your self in the future from harmful UV rays all year long.
- Know when to seek shade. The sun's rays are strongest between 10 AM and 4 PM. Umbrellas are not just for rain and can be great for sun protection. Seek shade from trees or buildings.
- Cover up. Hats, sunglasses, and sunscreens. Longer, light shirts in the summer if you can.
- Quick Tip: Worried about those lines between your eyes? Sunglasses help a lot! you don't have to squint from the brightness of the sun, keeping those muscles around your eyes relaxed. Plus, prevents UV rays from causing more aging around the eyes.
- Apply sunscreen the right way. Apply 30 minutes before your go outside to make sure its soaked in. RE-APPLY every 2 hours at least or more often if you are sweating or swimming.
- Quick Tip: Get a good hand cream with SPF to leave in your car to cover your hands and arms during long drives.(*Supergoop has a great SPF hand moisturizer!)
- Know your products and medications. There are certain products topical and medicinal that can cause your skin to be more sensitive to the sun.
- Avoid too much exfoliation. The skin is much more vulnerable and sensitive after a strong exfoliating treatment. Its very important to baby your skin after such treatments as to not cause more damage.
- Aloe, Aloe, Aloe. Even if you don't get a sunburn, slathering on some aloe after being in the sun can help keep your skin calm, moisturized, and young.
- Avoid tanning beds. There is no safe way to tan.
- Give yourself skin exams and check for funky or discolored moles.
MAY GIVEAWAY + FREE SPF LIP BALM!
For May only: Every order of $100 or more, receive a free Rosehip & Lemongrass SPF lip balm! Get this deal while supplies last!
Enter into my giveaway coming next week!! Ill be giving away an array of amazing Eminence Organics SPF products and an Eco friendly bag. Follow me on Facebook at Sweet Escape Skin Care by Sara Taylor or Instagram: @Sweetescapeskincare
Check out other SPF and sun care products that Eminence has to offer. Get great organic sun care products and for every product you buy, Eminence plants a tree!
*skincancer.org has great information about sun damage and skin cancer.