AKA acne mechanica or mask acne. Breakouts caused by wearing a mask for long periods of time, trapping sweat, oil, and bacteria around where the mask touches the face. It's scary, I know!
Well I have been observing and learning about how to best take care of maskne and am here with six tips to help you reduce and prevent it.
1. Double Cleanse every night. (I have a whole blog post on this) Cleansing twice at the end of the day will help to really to remove all excess oil, dirt, and bacteria from this skin. I like to start with an oil cleanser to gently remove surface impurities, sunscreen and makeup from the day. I particularly love the cbd OCD Oil Cleanser from Code of Harmony. This is also amazing for taking off my eye makeup. Then, I like to follow that with more a treatment cleanser or gentle exfoliating cleanser. I do not recommend using an exfoliating cleanser to take off eye makeup, ouch. Probably my favorite gentle treatment cleansers, especially for maskne, are the Mangosteen Daily Resurfacing Cleanser (for drier skin types), the Clear Skin Probiotic Cleanser (for combo to oily skin types), and the Acne Advanced Cleansing Foam (for oily skin types).
2. Wash your mask. If you have use a reusable mask, you definitely want to be washing it everyday that you wear it. When your mask is clean, you have less bacteria to buildup, therefore, reducing the chances of getting a breakout.
3. Try not to wear makeup under your mask. If I wear anything, I wear a tinted moisturizer or lightweight cc cream. If your makeup is light or better yet skincare infused, that will be better than heavier makeup that clogs the pores. Try to wear no makeup if you can, but definitely keep wearing your SPF. I recommend the Vanilla Latte Tinted Moisturizer with SPF or the Red Currant Protective Moisturizer with SPF, both from Eminence Organics
4. Use a skincare mask under your face mask. If you have a spot treatment cream, acne spot treatment mask, or pimple patches, apply those on your breakout under your mask. Especially if your know you won't be taking it off for quite a while. Make sure the acne treatment mask is safe to wear for long periods of time. My favorites from Eminence Organics is the Clear Skin Probiotic Masque, Clear Skin Probiotic Target Treatment, or the Acne Advanced Clarifying Masque
5. Jade rolling or cold rolling. If you want to invest in a jade roller or a cold roller, these can help reduce redness, inflammation, irritation, and tension in the skin and face. Jade is a stone that naturally stays at a cooler temperature. I do like to keep mine in the fridge so its extra refreshing. Bonus, they also help reduce puffiness and drain sinuses. You can find real and legit jade rollers from Jaderollerbeauty.com . They are easy to use and hard to mess up.
6. Go see your local esthetician and get a facial and/or peel. It is peeling season and it is a great time to get a deeper exfoliation to really help clear up your maskne and summer sun damage. Your esthetician will be able to provide you the right tools for your skin and give the extra stress relief it needs. Currently in the treatment room, I suggest a Pro Salicylic Peel or the Arctic Berry Peptide Radiance Peel. No down time on either of these but glowing results! A great facial will help ease away stress as well as related breakouts. Your esthetician is there to help you build a routine that fits you.
These are my best takeaways for fighting maskne during these crazy times. Give me a shout if you have any questions, comments, or reviews. I truly hope you try these tips and that anyone of you dealing with this finds relief. You can find all the Eminence Organics products mentioned in my shop. You can find a link to the CBD Code Of Harmony line at the bottom of my home page!
If you are need in for a customized facial near OKC, Oklahoma, I am here, just let me know!! You can message me or book online!
p.s. Be sure to check out my other blog posts for more skin care info!